sabato 6 ottobre 2007

The construction site right outside my window

As some of you already know, Abu Dhabi and Dubai are among the fastest growing cities in the world. Everywhere you look, there are cranes. In fact, when I wake up in the morning, this is what I see outside of my window. This is the beginning of a huge apartment complex. It's just amazing to see how quickly building go up in this city. In fact, there is a significant difference between where this building was when I first arrived to where it is now. I will try to take a photo each month so that we can all see how quickly things happen around here!


You can see the migrant workers doing their thing. It amazes me that they wear long-sleeved clothing even in the super hot weather that we have here. Although it's a bit cooler already than it was when I first arrived in August, it's still hotter than I've ever experienced in NY. The best way that I can explain the August heat here is to compare it when you open up the door to an oven that is on. The hot wave of air that strikes you in the face is equivalent to what it's like here. Five minutes outside and you are literally soaken wet with sweat. It is absolutely mind-blowing to experience, and without air-conditioning, life would be almost unbearable. In fact, even these migrant workers have AC where they live.
This is the view from outside of my window when looking to the right. You can see the water in the distance. Once this building goes up, this view will no longer exist, which is kind of interesting to consider. One moment it's here, another it's not!
Here's one of the main roads in Abu Dhabi. You can see how wide the lanes are. The roads are clean and well-maintained.

I'll keep the posts coming!

2 commenti:

Robert ha detto...

How much does gas cost there? Looking at the pictures of the gas stations you visited got me curious.

Robert ha detto...

How is it like there during the Eid al-Fitr celebrations?