domenica 11 novembre 2007

And yes folks, he still is alive!

Well, the way I see it is that if I haven't updated my blog in just about a month, there must be a very good reason as to why not! Well, that is correct. Where to begin, I have no clue, but what I will try to work around is what I think you will find the most interesting of the whole bit. On my last post, I shared that I was going to work at the Middle East International Film Festival here in Abu Dhabi. Indeed, I did do that, and what it led to is what real stories are made of. Basically, as a result of my work at the Film Festival (I worked in the Press Office and wrote some articles for the festival's daily newsletter), I was offered the opportunity to work in film production. I always found this type of work intriguing but never thought that I'd find a way to get involved in this. Well, that's all changed now. Soon enough I'm moving back to NY to start this whole new adventure! I know, I know, I just moved to Abu Dhabi and all. Teaching is a passion of mine and is something that I will undoubtedly go back to, but this is an opportunity that I absolutely MUST take advantage of. If I don't it will be eating away at me forever. In the end, as a friend noted to me, I had to move to the other side of the world just to end up back home again! I'll probably find a place in Manhattan and then take it from there!
This, of course is me. What I'm wearing is called a kandora or a dish-dash, and it is the traditional menswear of the Middle East. Here are some questions that you all most likely have, just like I did when I first got here:
1) No, you don't have to be Muslim to be able to wear this. It is the traditional clothing of Middle East and has no ties with Islam.
2) The thing I'm wearing on my head is one of many colors that can be used. I liked the red and white for this outfit, but there are different colors.
In total, this outfit cost me around $100. 00. I had it tailor-made, so if I put on any weight at all, I'm doomed. I will have to buy another one. I like it, it's kind of cool. I wore it for Halloween here, and I wear it when I go out with my Arabic friends.
As far as that goes, I've made tons of friends from the local area now. Get adjusted here was truly difficult, but that's all behind me now. I work during the week and then on the weekends get the chance to really remember that I am in the Middle East. I hear nothing but Arabic and fully participate in the culture here.

I finally went to Dubai, and I wasn't impressed. To me, it seems like one huge Disneyworld. Everything is totally fake, and even worse, it couldn't be so clear that everything IS artificial. Anyhow, here are some pictures from there:


This is now the world's tallest tower. It is not complete yet, but a few months ago, was declared the tallest standing tower in the world. However, at the rate that new skyscrapers go up, it may not hold that record for too long.

Next, these pictures are from the famous indoor ski slope in Dubai's Emirates Mall. Again, looked like a joke to me. All completely artificial. We saw it from the outside. It's in a mall and you look to one side and see this fake snow and such. It's quite strange, trust me!






Well, I will be updating more regularly now and will also answer some of the questions that you've been asking. Sorry for the hold-up and please stay tuned for more!
- Paul : )

1 commento:

Unknown ha detto...

Paul, this is so shocking! Congratulations! When do you go back to NY? Are you going to finish the year?

Your friend from Search,
Danielle