martedì 25 settembre 2007

A little taste of that family life that I miss so very much!!!

Today I came home from work competely exhausted. Starting a new middle schol is no easy task, ESPECIALLY for such a young teacher with as limied experience as I have. The past few days it's taken it's toll on me. Less sleep at night just tossing and turning, worrying (as I know so well how to do). One of the things tha I miss most here is that genuine family life. Before I get more into this part of the story, I will tell you a bit about Lilas...
So, it's March of this year and it's one month after I find out that I'm moving to Abu Dhabi. I go to on to Facebook and join a few groups of people from Abu Dhabi and start to ask questions about life over there and asking for advice from anyone that already lives tere. This girl Lilas writes backto me, totally friendly from the get-go. and because she was so nice, we naturallly continued communicating. A few months pass by and we get friendlier and friendlier with each oher. In May, I get a picture of the building that I will be living in in Abu Dhabi, and I send it to Lilas asking her if she knows where it is in the city. The picture is below:

My building is the tall glass one, and Lilas's is the one to the left with the balconies showing! That's right, she writes back telling me that we are going to be neighbors Since then, of course, we were both thrilled and communicated right until I arrived. We saw each other as soon as I got here.
Since I've been here, her apartment has become like my home away from home. I come here quite often after school, eat with her husband and 6 year-old daughter, and just relax. They're a super young couple, in their early 30's, and their house gives me the true feeling of home that I miss so much right now. I have to say what the hardest part of this experience so far is missing the family and friends that I'm so close to. Everyone that I talk to says it gets easier, and I'm waiting for that to happen! I can't wait to see everyone when I get home though!
I'm going to go back into the family room now and watch some more TV with them before I head off home to bed! Right now it's 7:20PM and I'm totally exhausted This Ramadan work schedule is running me down, but there are only two weeks left of it. We work for 7 hrs. straight with only 10 minutes in between to eat lunch!
Talk to you all soon, and thanks again for reading the post!
- Paul : )

1 commento:

Wiesendanger ha detto...

Hey Paul,

This all sounds so awesome. I'm totally jealous and if I can ever find the time and money, I'm totally coming to visit. And to keep the good vibe rolling, I got a question - Have you got to interact with any of the local population? Can you communicate at all? What is your impression of the local culture? Can't wait to hear from you.

peace with justice
alex